Texas Department of Transportation
For immediate release: Friday, September 12, 2014
UNDATED - Here's a quick look at work planned in the Tyler District during the Week of September 15, 2014:
TxDOT plans work in Anderson County
ANDERSON COUNTY, Texas – Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintenance crews are scheduled to complete shoulder up operations on SH 294 from the Slocum City Limits to FM 228, next week. They then plan to move to FM 2022 south of Slocum to perform edge of road repairs. Another crew will be using heavy equipment to conduct silt work under the bridge on FM 315, two miles north of FM 321 at Mound Prairie Creek. Expect lane closures at all locations with traffic control provided by flaggers or other devices such as arrow boards and signs. Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention in work zones.
TxDOT plans work in Cherokee County
CHEROKEE COUNTY, Texas – Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintenance crews remain on FM 747 north of U.S. 79 west of Jacksonville, working on the overlay and widening project. Slow down and pay attention as the roadway remains at one lane with flaggers and signage in place to help motorists navigate safely through the work zone.
TxDOT plans work in Gregg County
GREGG COUNTY, Texas – Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintenance crews will continue milling and seal coat operations on SH 135 in the Kilgore area. This project, which started on September 3, runs for about a mile and a half from Old Gladewater Highway south through the traffic circle to the Gregg/Rusk County Line. It is a multi-phase project that includes doing base repair work, followed by the application of a seal coat and a hot mix overlay. The work includes reducing the roadway to one travel lane through the area. Motorists can expect delays and are encouraged to allow extra time or use alternate routes to reach their destinations. Remember to slow down and pay attention when traveling through this and all work zones.
The Longview Area Office has several construction projects planned for the week.
- Construction is under way at the intersection of FM 2208 (Alpine Road) and Smelley Road. The construction stretches less than a mile from North Loop 281 to the Gregg/Harrison County Line. The work includes widening the roadway, drainage structures, seal coat and hot mix work all in preparation for the installation of a turn lane and upgrading the flashing yellow lights to a full traffic signal. This will require daytime lane closures causing delays to the traveling public. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes during construction.
- Work on the Loop 281 railroad overpass construction continues between SH 31 South to Ray Street in Longview and includes placing new signs and striping on new detour pavement, and conducting embankment work. This work is being conducted out of traffic so any impacts to traffic will be minimal.
- SH 42 widening construction from I-20 S to SH 31 in Kilgore continues with placing concrete curb and gutter and driveways. Drivers should use caution as daily traffic control will include narrow lanes in this ongoing work.
- Construction of the bridge continues on Spinks Chapman Road southwest of the I-20 and SH 31 interchange near Kilgore. Motorists are encouraged to use alternative routes to reach their destinations due to the closure of Spinks Chapman Road at the bridge.
TxDOT plans work in Rusk County
RUSK COUNTY, Texas – Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintenance crews in Henderson this week remain on FM 840 between FM 2867 and SH 315 conducting edge work. Motorists should expect daytime lane closures.
Elsewhere, work on the construction project to widen SH 64 in Henderson is scheduled to resume. The project consists of widening the existing two-lane roadway and constructing a four-lane facility along with a continuous Left Turn Lane. The contractor, L.S. Equipment Co., of Henderson, will perform the majority of the work outside the existing travel lanes, thereby lessening the impact on traffic. As work progresses motorists may experience delays due to periodic daytime lane closures. The $2.1 million project got under way in August 2013 and has had some delays due to utility adjustments and other unforeseen issues, but is expected to be completed in summer 2015.
TxDOT plans work in Smith County
SMITH COUNTY, Texas – Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintenance crews in Smith County will conduct milling operations on SH 155 South from Loop 323 to the Henderson County Line this week. Another crew will be conducting routine maintenance work on roadways throughout the county. Daytime lane closures will be in effect. Motorists are reminded to slow down and be prepared merge in and around work zones.
TxDOT plans work in Van Zandt County
VAN ZANDT COUNTY, Texas – Texas Department of Transportation maintenance crews continue necessary maintenance work at various locations around Van Zandt County.
Work continues on several construction projects in the area:
- The contractor is pouring back walls and removing debris on the bridge replacement project on CR 2504 at Dry Lacy Fork, which remains closed to traffic.
- CR 2405 is now open but use caution as the contractor continues to clean up debris from the right-of-way.
- On FM 317 from FM 607 to FM 314, the contractor is finishing up culvert work and preparing for widening operations as part of the FM 198 project. Expect lane closures on this job.
- District Seat Coat operations are wrapping up on U.S. 80. Expect lane closures as this project comes to a close.
TxDOT plans construction work in Wood County
WOOD COUNTY, Texas – The contractor for the U.S. 69 widening project in Mineola this week will be installing hot mix driveways, seeding the right of way, watering and installing centerline texturing from SL 564 in Mineola to FM 779 in Golden. Expect lane closures in this area. Meanwhile on SH 154, the contractor will be reworking some of the striping West of Quitman and watering vegetation. Expect lane closures to remain the norm as the job progresses so use caution.
EXPIRES: Friday, September 19, 2014
KEYWORDS: I 20, us 69, us 79, sh 31, sh 42, sh 64, sh 135, sh 154, sh 155, sh 294, sh 315, fm 314, fm 317, fm 344, fm 346, fm 607, fm 747, fm 779, fm 840, fm 2022, fm 2208, fm 2867, lp 281, sl 564, cr 2504, anderson county, cherokee county, gregg county, henderson county, rusk county, smith county, van zandt county, wood county
Public Information Officer (Interim)
Texas Department of Transportation
(936) 633-4395 (Office)
(936) 465-6736 (Cell)
For travel conditions 24 hours per day, call 1-800-452-9292 or click here: http://www.drivetexas.org
For state-level media relations inquiries, call TxDOT Media Relations at (512) 463-8700
Local Quick Links
Statewide Quick Links
TxDOT on Twitter: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-room/twitter.html
TxDOT on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TxDOT
TxDOT website: www.txdot.gov
Traffic Counts: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/transportation-planning/maps/traffic.html
Crash Data request form: http://www.txdot.gov/apps-cg/crash_records/form.htm
Open Records request: http://www.txdot.gov/contact-us/form.html?id=openrecords
Don't mess with Texas® means don't litter.